To be a part of this community solar project in New York you just need to have an account with an electric utility, then you:
- Find a community solar project in your area and ask about rates and subscription plans
- Subscribe to a plan that works for you
- Save. Your electricity provider will still deliver energy to you, and you’ll be credited for your portion of the community solar project right on your electricity bill.
How it Works
Community solar projects are an array of solar panels installed in a sunny, offsite location. Community solar allows you benefits from solar without installing panels on your home.
Why Community Solar
There are several reasons and ways to join a community solar project:
- You can go solar without having to install solar on your property or if you don’t own the property
- You save money on your electricity bill
- You’re supporting clean, locally generated power
- You can pay-as-you-go with subscription options (if available)
- The developers of community solar projects like Solarcollab, determine which plans are available to members. Most project will include these two types of plans.
Subscription plans are more common. Their benefits include:
- Little to no upfront costs
- Shorter term options
- Purchase plans include benefits such as:
Ownership of panels at the community solar project site
- Availability of financing options
- Greater savings potential over time
- Ability to take advantage of tax credits